The Latest News...

 After many years of breeding my lovely goldens, I have retired.  Feel free to contact me for puppy referrals as I can refer you to a good breeder.

Note: One of my past customers who has my dogs' bloodlines just had a litter of puppies and they will be ready July 6th, 2018. Any more info on this, please contact me at or call me at 248-752-7000 and I can pass on their info.

 The Kennel and property in Farmington Hills are now for sale. If interested, please contact me at above info.

 I have enjoyed the many people I have met and have become good friends with many of you.  After over twenty years, I look forward to less "work" but it was such fun work!  I hope to keep in touch with many of you.

 With much affection to all of you, Micki



Golden Dog Blog

Welcome to my new "updated" website. I have created this for my future and past customers in order that they would be able to communicate with me and other people who have purchased my dogs. For some time I have wanted a way to communicate with everyone about things like "bad" dog foods, up-to-date info on health or anything that I feel you might like to know. Hopefully this will help and it will also offer you an opportunity to communicate with others who have purchased puppies from me. An example would be if you wanted to get all the puppies from the same litter together and have a reunion...or the same Bonnie who just turned 15 in November. I will be posting updates from time to time so please take time to read this. If you have any questions let me always, if you need to talk to me please email me directly at or call me at 248 626 2243.. Thanks! Micki

Sep 03

Xylitol kills dogs! So kill the Xylitol in YOUR diet!

Posted by: Webmaster

Tagged in: Untagged 


Xylitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute that’s helped diabetics and weight loss seekers get their sugar fix––in spite of dietary restrictions. And, just like chocolate and grapes, it’s natural, further disproving the claim that “natural is always safe.”

That’s because Xylitol, a sugar compound sourced from the Birch tree, has been recently discovered to be 100 percent lethal to dogs. In many cases, the quantity of Xylitol-containing food was small––as in a box of sugar-free Tic-Tacs (really), a Jell-O sugar free pudding snack or one sugar-free cupcake.
With Xylitol poisoning the most obvious sign is your dog's blood sugar levels plummet. Should she survive this phase, liver toxicity and clotting problems often result.  
As if that wasn't enough to strike fear into the heart of any dog lover, the additional danger in Xylitol is three-fold:

  •     Only small quantities are needed to do serious damage
  • Xylitol is found in an increasing number of consumer products and foodstuffs (kid’s vitamins, mints, gums, toothpaste, sugar-free baked goods, etc.)
  • Most dog owners don’t yet know about it

As a veterinarian, the latter hazard seems most pressing to me. After all, if you have no idea that Starbucks mints contain Xylitol, you won’t be so careful about where you leave your purse. If you don’t know that a sugar-free cupcake contains it, you might not think twice about throwing a stale one your dogs’ way––or leaving the box on the counter.

Not until your dog starts seizuring, as her blood sugar drops, will you begin to wonder what could have led to her physiological free-fall.
This is really scary stuff. More so because many veterinarians are still in the dark about Xylitol, its effects and its prevalence. A seizuring dog? Could be from anything. Unless you’re asked about specific food poisons, you might not think to check if your gum is still in your pocket. You might have forgotten about the pastry, stressed out as you now are.
Which begs the question: Should these products be labeled “unsafe for canine consumption”?
Though I’d like that to be the case, it’s not happening anytime soon. After all, chocolates and grapes don’t host warning labels. Because ultimately, it’s up to YOU to know better. And now you do.
Spread the word among your dog-loving friends. Read your labels. Don’t buy these products unless you truly need them in your diet (until they switch to another sweetener choice). Inform your family. And, if you choose to use these products, be very careful where you leave them.

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Thank you....
for posting this. If we can help save the lives of our beloved best friend, the loss of Murphy's life will not be for naught.
Cheryl , November 07, 2012

Write comment

You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.


Looking For a Puppy?


Hello Members

Top Golden Dog Members